Settle on the Great Northern Peninsula
How to Register
Below you'll find information on how to register for:
For Health Care (MCP)
To apply for health care coverage, complete an Application Form and mail, fax, or bring it to Medical Care Plan (MCP)'s office, along with the appropriate identification and citizenship/immigration documents (photocopies are acceptable). Application forms are available at hospitals and doctors' offices throughout the province, and of course, from Medical Care Plan (MCP). All the information you need to obtain Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan coverage is available on the Department of Health website.
For a Social Insurance Number
A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.
Registration Information on Service Canada's Website
For Schools
The Association for New Canadians offers An Immigrant Parents' Guide to the Newfoundland and Labrador School System on their website.

Schools in the region operate under the Western District School Board. Public schools are funded by the federal government and administered by the provincial government. You do not have to pay to attend publicly funded schools. You must register your child at the school designated by the School Board. Most of the time, your child will attend the school closest to where you live. Before registering your child for school, you must have the following documentation:

1. Proof of Student's Age – You will need one of the following translated into English:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Landed Immigrant Status

2. Proof of Address – You will need one of the following:
  • Copy of a Bank Statement
  • Telephone Bill, Electricity Bill or a Lease/Rental Agreement with your name and address

3. Proof of Guardianship
  • This is required if the student is under the age of 18 and is not
    living with a parent

4. Proof of Immigration Status – You will need one of the following:
  • Canadian passport
  • Record of Landed Form
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence
  • Permanent Residence Card

5. MCP Number (see registration information below)

6. Contact Information
  • When you register your child for school, you must provide the school with your address, home and work telephone numbers, as well as the name and telephone number of a friend or family member who can be contacted in case of an emergency.

The Association for New Canadians (ANC) can help you with the registration process and arrange for a meeting with the school principal or teacher. For more information contact the ANC Main Office at (709) 722-9680 or the Settlement Workers in the Schools Program (SWIS) at (709) 722-0921.
For a Driver's License
You must exchange your existing driver's licence to a Newfoundland driver's licence within 3 months of taking up residence. All the information you need to obtain a Newfoundland and Labrador Driver's Licence is available on the Transportation and Works website.

To Register Your Vehicle
You are required to register your vehicle within 90 days of entry into the Province. Newfoundland and Labrador Vehicle Registration
For Utilities and Services
Contact your town office or community contact person for information about town services like water and sewer and garbage collection. Your community contact or town clerk can also provide you with information about where to order home heating oil in your town.

For electrical hookup contact Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro

For communications utilities, see the links below:
  • Bell Aliant: For Home Phone, Mobile phone, SatelliteTV and Internet Services
  • TELUS: For Home Phone, Mobile Phone, Satellite TV and Internet Services
  • East Link: For Phone, TV and Internet Services
  • Shaw Direct: For Satellite TV Service.
This page: 4,303 visits since September 30, 2011
Webmaster Login
Home | Choose | Settle | List of Communities | Business | Testimonials | FAQ | Gallery
For further information about the
Great Northern Peninsula
Contact Us Today!